Facebook SEO Tips
“For connecting more than half a billion people and mapping the social relations among them, for creating a new system of exchanging information and for changing how we live our lives, Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is TIME’s 2010 Person of the Year” – December 15th 2010 – Time Magazine
“Facebook is a bigger threat than Google” – Yahoo; December 8, 2010
Today Facebook has more than 500 million active users and half of them log into Facebook every day! And here are some interesting stats about Facebook;
- The average user is connected to 80 pages, groups and events
- The average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) are shared each month
- Since social plugins launched in April of 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook each day.
- There are more than 70 translations available on the site
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside of the US!
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users
- The largest segment of users are people between the age of 18 and 24, followed by 24 to 34
- The largest growing segment are adults over 65
Facebook is a waste of time and resources; you can’t make any money with it!
I hear this time and time again with clients that we consult with and nothing is farther from the truth!
Here is an example of one of our associates who has a client that is making a killing using Facebook.
Martin Maybruck put together this case study on one of his clients who operates a high end Women’s Resort Clothing store in Westport, CT.
In 2010 the client’s E-Commerce revenue rose 107% from 2009!
|Facebook Referals||2419||28143||Up 1163.41%|
|Facebook Revenue||$4,867.09||$94,730.17||Up 1946.34%|
|Facebook Fans||3196||11453||Up 358.35%|
|Value of Fan||$1.52||$8.27||Up 543.13%|
When Martin’s and his client started this project in 2009 they were competing directly against the Brand/Manufacture of the products; therefore the following goals were mapped out;
- Increase revenue with little money, time and effort
- Increase e-mail list and fan base
- Increase awareness of their store
- Increase the customer base
- Increase customer faithfulness vs. other niche stores
The following strategies were implemented;
1. Wall Posts
- The client committed to posting a wall post every one to two days
- The client was to post pictures and videos to their wall on a regular basis
- The client would increase interaction with their fan base by asking questions
- The client would reply in a timely manner to all customer service questions posted on their wall
- The client would create a sense of personality, would not PUSH the sale
The client’s Facebook fan page was redeveloped with the following tabs;
- Wall – Main tab of the Facebook fan page showing latest promotions, the personality of the business, and to create social proof showcasing fan count and fan comments
- Email Capture – Tab labeled “Specials” that opened a email capture form. The specials were not displayed until the user completed the form
- Shopping – Online store built within Facebook utilizing this tab
- Info tab – Very basic contact information and links to the clients main website
- Twitter Tab – All Facebook posts pushed to Twitter, allowing visitors to follow the client on Twitter
- Weekly emails from the client’s auto responder are automatically posted to their Facebook wall
- Each month the client holds a Facebook only promotion and contest
- The client sends an email out to their list with a link to this special promotion and encourages the visitor to become a fan
4. Paid Ads
- All paid Facebook advertising is targeted to their fan page, they never take the visitor off of Facebook
- They utilize Facebook Insights to learn about their fans and then target their advertising by;
– Their Facebook Connections
– Their Likes and Interests
The following Facebook Plugins were integrated on the client’s webpage;
- Facebook Like Button – Allows users to share pages from your site back to their Facebook profile with just one click
- Facebook Like Box – The Like Box enables users to like your Facebook Page and view its stream directly from your website
- Login Button – The Login Button shows profile pictures of the user’s friends who have already signed up for the website along with a login button
- Activity Feed – The Activity Feed plugin shows users what their friends are doing on the website through likes and comments
Social Juice = The New SEO
Bing has begun integrating Facebook Likes into the search results and they reported last week at their Bing Search Summit that Facebook likes would influence ranking and create a more personalized search result for the user over time.
However, a new search engine called Blekko is taking a much more aggressive approach to integrating the social graph into search with their integration of using slashtags and the ability to mark websites as being spam.
Facebook SEO Tips
1: Just as important as using a keyword rich domain name in organic SEO it is equally important to use keywords in naming your Facebook fan page URL.
2: Configure your Default Facebook landing page and tab to ensure that the first page being crawled by Google contains relevant content about your business.
3: Create backlinks to your Fan Page, an easy way to do this is with links from your existing website, and links from forums that you participate in, comments that you post on blogs and using your Facebook fan page URL in your signature
4: Link to other relevant pages on the net. Google takes into account the pages that you’re linking to and the relevancy of the content
5: Post keyword rich content in your about box
6: Use the info tab to include more important keywords, text and links. Include the address of your company for local search, your company overview and direct link(s) to your website
Over the next few months we will be putting together a complete Facebook SEO Training program so I would love to hear your comments about this post and your successes using Facebook in your marketing, therefore I’d love it if you could post a comment below or even better, post a comment on our Facebook wall!
Season’s Greetings to all!
Related Posts via Taxonomies
Webinar Replay How to Increase Conversions and Traffic to Your Website
October 16th, 2014
Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/seotrainingsw.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/seoroadmap/sidebar.php on line 55
VIEW ALL WEBINARS >